How To Set Up Aquarium Fish Tank
On these pages we will be posting reviews of products available for the fish keeping enthusiast and the first thing most want to know is how to set up a fish tank. We’ll attempt to review the top products to find out what’s good and what’s not so that you can make a better buying decision.
Our first review is of the e-book “How To Set Up A Fish Tank”
One of the first questions asked by any newcomer to keeping fish relates to “how to set up a fish tank or aquarium?”
You come home from the pet store with a beautiful new tank, bags of gravel, a filter, maybe a light and a heater, and minimal instructions!
It can seem overwhelming for the beginner but help is available in the form of a new e-book by fish enthusiast Alison Stevens.
It is a thorough, step-by-step guide to setting up your aquarium fish tank and will take you through all the steps from cleaning the new tank when you first bring it home – any residue in the tank could kill the fish – to installing the gravel, filter, light, heater and decorations.
It discusses tank cycling, an important part of breaking down the waste created by the fish; how to introduce new fish to your aquarium; and how many fish you can add to a tank of a given size.
It even covers fish diseases and treatments, ongoing aquarium maintenance and breeding your fish.
The only negative might be the lack of illustrations, however, the text is so descriptive that the reader is left in no doubt as to how to set up a fish tank.
“How To Set Up A Fish Tank” is a must-have book for anyone wanting to establish a new fish aquarium, and it’s a bargain at just $5.99.
Here are some of the questions that are answered …
- What you need to do to setup an aquarium fish tank successfully. Discover the right size filtration system for the tank size, which live plants to use, the right pH level to aim for.
- Which tank is the best one for you. Do you buy the whole system on the same day or do you buy components gradually and set it up over a few days or weeks.
- Where do you start when setting up your first aquarium? Avoid the biggest mistakes most beginners make when setting up their first aquarium.
- What sort of freshwater fish tank maintenance should you do? How often will you need to change the water? What percentage of water should be replaced?
- Installing lighting in a new fish tank. Does your tank require lighting? What intensity of light is sufficient to light the tank successfully.
- Will your aquarium require heating? What is the optimal temperature for a cold water aquarium? What about a tropical aquarium?
- What on earth is the nitrogen cycle? And how does it affect the water quality?
- How to begin to introduce fish into your new aquarium. What are the critical steps to take into account so the fish are not stressed? How many fish to introduce at a time?
- How can I understand the physiology of my goldfish a little better? What are the different types of aquarium fish you should know about?
- What colors do goldfish come in? Does it matter if I combine different color goldfish? What are the most common varieties of goldfish?
- What do I feed my goldfish? Do I feed them prepared food or live food, i.e. worms, etc?
- How much should I feed my fish? Can fish be overfed and what will happen if I do?
- What do I do if I want to breed my aquarium fish? How do I know when the female is spawning?
- How can I tell if my goldfish is sick? What type of goldfish diseases should I be on the look out for? How do I treat a sick goldfish?
- Should I quarantine a sick fish? How do I set up a hospital tank to quarantine my sick goldfish?